Wildfire chasers are the new tornado chasers

A strike team of specially trained researchers drives into the literal line of fire.

SOMIS, CA - NOVEMBER 01: The Maria Fire burns on a hillside as it expands up to 8,000 acres on its first night on November 1, 2019 near Somis, California. Southern California has been hit by a series of dangerous, fast-moving wildfires this week as Santa Ana Winds ushered in strong gusts up to 80mph and extremely low humidity.  (Photo by David McNew/Getty Images)

Enlarge / SOMIS, CA - NOVEMBER 01: The Maria Fire burns on a hillside as it expands up to 8,000 acres on its first night on November 1, 2019 near Somis, California. Southern California has been hit by a series of dangerous, fast-moving wildfires this week as Santa Ana Winds ushered in strong gusts up to 80mph and extremely low humidity. (Photo by David McNew/Getty Images) (credit: David McNew | Getty)

In the late hours of October 23, Craig Clements was grading papers when a colleague in Oakland texted him about a rapidly growing wildfire just north of San Francisco. He texted a few of his students, who jumped out of bed and rushed his way. Together they loaded a radar-packing Ford F-250 pickup with gear and hit the road, gathering the Oakland colleague on their way to the Kincade Fire, which would quickly become California’s biggest blaze of 2019.

Clements, a fire weather researcher at San Jose State University, and his team arrived around 1am, driving past fire engines and evacuating locals as they steered toward the blaze. Normally they would check in with an incident command post first, where officials could tell them where the wildfire might be heading, but the conflagration was still too young and chaotic for such organization. So they drove on, trying to position themselves near but not too near the growing plume, searching for a spot not surrounded by brush or traffic, away from power lines that could fall on their heads. On their map they found a road leading to a vineyard—lots of vegetation, sure, but chock full of water and therefore quite resistant to burning—and turned in, landing a kilometer from a ridge line the fire was burning up to.

Read 9 remaining paragraphs | Comments

Waymo finally let a reporter ride in a fully driverless car

Waymo has been touting fully driverless operation for almost two years.

Waymo finally let a reporter ride in a fully driverless car

Enlarge (credit: Caitlin O'Hara/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

It's been almost two years since Waymo first announced that it was testing fully autonomous vehicles on public roads. Not long afterwards, the company said it planned to offer a fully driverless service to the public by the end of 2018.

The rollout has been a lot slower than expected. Over the course of 2018, most of Waymo's cars continued to have drivers behind the wheel. When Waymo launched its commercial service in December 2018, every car had a driver behind the wheel.

But now Waymo seems to be cautiously moving forward with fully driverless technology. Last month, Waymo told people in its closed testing program that they'd start getting rides in driverless vehicles. Now in a new piece for Techcrunch, Ed Niedermeyer reports on his own experience riding in a fully driverless car.

Read 4 remaining paragraphs | Comments

Digitalisierungs-Tarifvertrag: Regelungen für Erreichbarkeit, Homeoffice und KI kommen

Der Beamtenbund und Verdi setzen einen Digitalisierungs-Tarifvertrag durch, der Fragen wie Homeoffice, ständige Erreichbarkeit und Überwachung durch KI regeln soll. Der wird im kommenden Jahr fertig sein. (Digitalisierung, KI)

Der Beamtenbund und Verdi setzen einen Digitalisierungs-Tarifvertrag durch, der Fragen wie Homeoffice, ständige Erreichbarkeit und Überwachung durch KI regeln soll. Der wird im kommenden Jahr fertig sein. (Digitalisierung, KI)

5G: Deutschland hat viel zu wenige Mobilfunkantennen

Laut einem Experten von Huawei braucht Deutschland deutlich mehr neue Mobilfunkstandorte. Eine Zone in China mit weniger als einem Prozent der Fläche Deutschlands habe fast halb so viele Standorte wie ganz Deutschland. (Huawei, Mobilfunk)

Laut einem Experten von Huawei braucht Deutschland deutlich mehr neue Mobilfunkstandorte. Eine Zone in China mit weniger als einem Prozent der Fläche Deutschlands habe fast halb so viele Standorte wie ganz Deutschland. (Huawei, Mobilfunk)

Twitter Copyright Notices Have Doubled in Half a Year

As part of its bi-annual Transparency Report, Twitter reveals that the number of takedown notices it receives has doubled in six months. However, more than half of all copyright notices don’t result in any content being removed from the platform, as they are either incomplete, fraudulent, or not actionable.

Source: TF, for the latest info on copyright, file-sharing, torrent sites and more. We also have VPN reviews, discounts, offers and coupons.

In common with many other online services, copyright holders regularly ask Twitter to remove tweets that link to pirated material.

Whether it’s a tweet from the U.S. President or some random pirate site, the social media platform investigates the claims and takes action, if needed.

A few hours ago Twitter published a new update to its transparency report, highlighting the latest takedown trends. This reveals that the number of copyright notices received during the first half of the year skyrocketed compared to the previous six months.

“We received a 101% increase in DMCA takedown notices since our last report,” Twitter reports, noting that this includes a high volume of fraudulent DMCA notices from Turkey and Japan.

From January to June of this year a total of 106,951 DMCA notices were received, compared to 53,094 during the last half of 2018. This is a notable increase. However, it doesn’t directly translate to an equal change in removed tweets or withheld content.

The number of tweets that were removed increased by 46% to 113,015. At the same time, there was a 4% decrease in withheld media in the same period, 266,699 files in total.

This suggests that the average notice today includes fewer tweets and media files.

The percentage of notices for which Twitter took action also dropped significantly. On average, less than half of the notices (45%) resulted in material being removed, down from 62% last period.

The above applies to notices that were sent to Twitter, but the company also owns and operates Periscope. The number of copyright notices received by the streaming platform increased by roughly ten percent to 26,331 over the past six months.

Taken together, more than a third of the Twitter and Periscope copyright notices were sent in by a handful of reporters. Music industry group IFPI is the most prolific sender, followed by Netresult, LeakID, Athletia Sports and LaLiga.

The most spectacular increase we see in the report is the number of counternotices that were submitted by people who disputed a copyright claim. This number jumped 285% to 3,966.

This uptick is in part linked to an increase in fraudulent DMCA notices, which Twitter also highlights in its report. The company says that it will continue to keep a close eye on this trend and has put safeguards in place to help protect people on Twitter and Periscope.

Earlier this year TorrentFreak was also hit by inaccurate DMCA takedown complaints, targeting our news coverage. American entertainment giant Starz removed ours and several other tweets, pointing to an article about leaked TV-shows.

While Twitter accepted these takedowns, the reporting organization lifted the claim after we and many others complained.

Twitter’s complete transparency report, which also addresses trademark notices, information requests, rules enforcement, and other removal requests, is available here.

Source: TF, for the latest info on copyright, file-sharing, torrent sites and more. We also have VPN reviews, discounts, offers and coupons.

Blizzard: Overwatch 2 und eine Überraschung für Hearthstone

Erst eine merkwürdige Entschuldigung, dann Diablo 4 und anschließend noch weitere Neuheiten: Blizzard hat Overwatch 2 sowie eine Erweiterung namens Shadowlands für World of Warcraft und einen ungewöhnlichen Spielmodus für Hearthstone vorgestellt. (Bliz…

Erst eine merkwürdige Entschuldigung, dann Diablo 4 und anschließend noch weitere Neuheiten: Blizzard hat Overwatch 2 sowie eine Erweiterung namens Shadowlands für World of Warcraft und einen ungewöhnlichen Spielmodus für Hearthstone vorgestellt. (Blizzard, WoW)

White House backing off efficiency standard it’s suing over, report says

Administration may be changing course, leaving its automaker allies hanging.

Traffic moves through an interchange along Interstate 580 on July 25, 2019 in Oakland, California.

Enlarge / Traffic moves through an interchange along Interstate 580 on July 25, 2019 in Oakland, California. (credit: Justin Sullivan | Getty Images)

The White House is apparently blinking in a contentious lawsuit over fuel efficiency standards, leaving a number of major automakers that had backed the administration in an awkward position.

The administration is considering abandoning a rule that would freeze fuel efficiency requirements at 2020 levels and instead replacing it with a rule that would require fleetwide improvements of about 1.5% per year, The Wall Street Journal reports today.

The move is the latest twist in a long and complicated standoff that began basically as soon as the Trump administration did. The man himself promised on the campaign trail to gut the Environmental Protection Agency and roll back Obama-era fuel efficiency standards for vehicles. The chain of events so far has led to a faceoff among automakers, as Honda, Ford, Volkswagen, and BMW back more stringent guidelines out of California, and General Motors, Toyota, Fiat Chrysler, Hyundai, Mazda, Nissan, and Kia stand with the White House against the rule.

Read 13 remaining paragraphs | Comments

Blizzard president gives vague apology for Hong Kong protest response

Brack accepts “accountability,” promises to “do better” without offering details on how.

The words Free HK have been photoshopped onto the face of a video game character.

Enlarge / Mei from Overwatch has become a grass roots symbol of the Hong Kong protests in the wake of Blizzard's decision. (credit: r/hongkong)

Before launching into the weekend-long celebration of Blizzard games that is Blizzcon, company President J. Allen Brack offered a vague on-stage apology for how the company failed to "bring the world together in a tough Hearthstone esports moment about a month ago."

Though Brack didn't delve into the details of that "tough... moment," it's an obvious reference to the company's initial one-year ban for pro Hearthstone player Ng "Blitzchung" Wai Chung after he shouted a statement of support for ongoing pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong on a post-match stream. While Blitzchung's ban was later reduced to a six-month suspension and his tournament winnings restored, the damage was done among a vocal segment of Blizzard's fan base.

In the wake of the Blitzchung decision, Blizzard was forced to cancel a public promotional event and belatedly punish a college Hearthstone team for a similar on-stream protest. The company faced both a brief employee walkout and admonishment from a bipartisan group of US legislators.

Read 5 remaining paragraphs | Comments

Hack allows Pixel 4 Face Unlock to work with unsupported apps (root required)

Google’s Pixel 4 smartphone feature a brand new Face Unlock system that not only allows you to login to your phone by looking at it, but also to login to apps for banking, password management, or other activities where security is important. The …

Google’s Pixel 4 smartphone feature a brand new Face Unlock system that not only allows you to login to your phone by looking at it, but also to login to apps for banking, password management, or other activities where security is important. The only catch is that developers need to explicitly update their apps to […]

The post Hack allows Pixel 4 Face Unlock to work with unsupported apps (root required) appeared first on Liliputing.