Google, Facebook, VPNs, and Others Risk Huge Fines Under Proposed Law

After failing to connect its systems to Russia’s national blacklist of permanently blocked sites, Google is now being considered for a fine. Current fines are very small and no deterrent to huge tech companies, but that could change. Legislation under consideration would see the search giant – and other tech companies, including VPNs – face potentially huge penalties, in Google’s case up to US$6.7 million.

Source: TF, for the latest info on copyright, file-sharing, torrent sites and more. We also have VPN reviews, discounts, offers and coupons.

Legislation passed last year in Russia saw the creation of a centralized database of permanently blocked sites.

Search companies are required to connect their systems to this database (known locally as FGIS) so that such banned sites can be preemptively removed from search results. However, while most companies are acting as required, Google has thus far failed to connect to the resource.

As a result, Google was recently found to be in breach of federal law. The company was given a warning and told to connect within three days and begin filtering, but the tech giant failed to do so. It now faces an administrative fine of between 500,000 and 700,000 rubles (US$7,611 to US$10,656). On Monday, telecoms regulator Roscomnadzor confirmed it had officially opened a case against the US search giant.

While negotiations are still underway for Google to comply moving forward, it’s now clear that small fines don’t act as a deterrent to companies with huge revenue streams. It’s something the Russian government now wishes to address.

As part of reforms under consideration to tackle these types of violations, tech companies could face fines up to 1% of local revenue. In Google’s case, that’s around 450.2 million rubles (US$6.7m).

Roscomnadzor says that Google, Facebook, Telegram and other tech giants remain in breach of various local laws, including failure to hand over encryption keys to the government and neglecting to hold personal data of citizens locally in Russia.

A Reuters source told the news outlet that members of the presidential administration have already sent the proposals to representatives of several Russian and foreign Internet companies to receive feedback on the amendments.

The proposals, seen by Reuters but not published, indicate amendments to the Code of Administrative Offenses of Russia, which will see fines of 1% of annual revenue for repeated infringements of local law, with a minimum fine of 1.5 million rubles (US$22,400) if the company makes no money locally.

While the draft proposals appear to target large companies such as Google, Facebook and local search giant Yandex, services that provide access to blocked sites (such as VPNs and proxy services) will also be covered the legislation.

Messenger services like Telegram are also a target and even Netflix, if the company collects personal data of Russian citizens and stores it outside the country.

Additionally, companies that repeatedly breach the regulations could be subject to web-blocking themselves, something that Yandex was threatened with earlier this year in a response to a copyright complaint from several TV companies.

A source from an unnamed ‘foreign’ Internet company told Reuters that working out the precise levels of fines could be difficult for the Russian government.

“Yes, for foreign companies [the levels of fines under consideration] are already a substantial amount, but it is not clear how they will be calculated and charged,” the source said.

“Many foreign companies do not have a legal entity in Russia, while others have only a representative office that performs only marketing functions, and therefore its revenue is minimal. How much a company really earns in Russia, only the company knows.”

Source: TF, for the latest info on copyright, file-sharing, torrent sites and more. We also have VPN reviews, discounts, offers and coupons.

The Audi A4 versus the Audi S5 reviewed—sometimes less is more

Style and a V6 are no match for the simplicity of a stick shift.

The Audi A4 versus the Audi S5 reviewed—sometimes less is more

Enlarge (credit: Aurich / Audi)

It's been an interesting year behind the wheel here at Cars Technica. Quite a few of the cars I've tested have delivered surprises—underwhelming ones in the case of best-sellers like the Toyota Camry and Nissan Rogue, as well as unexpectedly delightful ones like the Kia Niro and Honda Accord. Think of today's story as a microcosm, then. It's about two cars from the same OEM, built on the same architecture, similar enough to be cross-shopped. The brand is Audi, the cars are the 2018 A4 sedan and 2018 S5 Sportback, and the surprise? For that you'll have to read on.

Neither car is a stranger to these pages. We first drove the A4 sedan back in 2016 at its launch, proclaiming it "for nerds, by nerds." Our first taste of the more powerful, more expensive S4 sedan and S5 coupe came a year later, as did our first drive of the Sportback, a sleeker, yet practical, five-door alternative to the sedans. First drives are certainly informative, but you'll learn a lot more living with a car for a week than you will sharing it for the day with another auto journalist. And over the summer, I had the opportunity to really get to know these four-ringed siblings.

The car I thought I'd love

OK, that subheading gives the game away, but it's true: I did think the S5 would be the one I'd love. After all, it's a Sportback—the name Audi gives to its five-door fastback sedans. My love for the five-door body style is well documented at this point; I spent my own money on a Saab 9-2x, and I'm a true believer that five door wagons, hatches, and fastbacks really do offer the most practicality while also looking better than almost anything else on the road.

Read 12 remaining paragraphs | Comments

The Audi A4 versus the Audi S5 reviewed—sometimes less is more

Style and a V6 are no match for the simplicity of a stick shift.

The Audi A4 versus the Audi S5 reviewed—sometimes less is more

Enlarge (credit: Aurich / Audi)

It's been an interesting year behind the wheel here at Cars Technica. Quite a few of the cars I've tested have delivered surprises—underwhelming ones in the case of best-sellers like the Toyota Camry and Nissan Rogue, as well as unexpectedly delightful ones like the Kia Niro and Honda Accord. Think of today's story as a microcosm, then. It's about two cars from the same OEM, built on the same architecture, similar enough to be cross-shopped. The brand is Audi, the cars are the 2018 A4 sedan and 2018 S5 Sportback, and the surprise? For that you'll have to read on.

Neither car is a stranger to these pages. We first drove the A4 sedan back in 2016 at its launch, proclaiming it "for nerds, by nerds." Our first taste of the more powerful, more expensive S4 sedan and S5 coupe came a year later, as did our first drive of the Sportback, a sleeker, yet practical, five-door alternative to the sedans. First drives are certainly informative, but you'll learn a lot more living with a car for a week than you will sharing it for the day with another auto journalist. And over the summer, I had the opportunity to really get to know these four-ringed siblings.

The car I thought I'd love

OK, that subheading gives the game away, but it's true: I did think the S5 would be the one I'd love. After all, it's a Sportback—the name Audi gives to its five-door fastback sedans. My love for the five-door body style is well documented at this point; I spent my own money on a Saab 9-2x, and I'm a true believer that five door wagons, hatches, and fastbacks really do offer the most practicality while also looking better than almost anything else on the road.

Read 12 remaining paragraphs | Comments

Trump tried to rescue coal. Instead, coal capacity retirements doubled in 2018

Coal consumption around the world is the next big problem to tackle.

Trump coal rally

Enlarge / US President Donald Trump speaks during a political rally at Charleston Civic Center in Charleston, West Virginia on August 21, 2018. (credit: MANDEL NGAN/AFP/Getty Images)

In 2018, 14.3 gigawatts (GW) of coal-fired capacity was retired, up from 7 GW retired in 2017. That constitutes the second-biggest year for coal-fired capacity retirement since 2015, according to new research from S&P Global Market Intelligence. In 2015, 14.7 GW of coal-fired capacity was retired.

The Trump Administration campaigned on its ability to save coal by cutting back Obama-era regulations. But in 2017, a Department of Energy-commissioned report gave the Administration some bad news: environmental regulations aren’t what’s killing coal—economics are. According to a recent report from market research firm Lazard on the leveled cost of energy, building new renewable energy is currently cheaper than paying marginal costs for many coal plants. And innovations in fracking have dropped the cost of US natural gas far below that of coal.

As the US coal fleet ages, utilities and energy companies are incentivized to replace old coal plants with natural gas plants and renewable energy.

Read 6 remaining paragraphs | Comments

Trump tried to rescue coal. Instead, coal capacity retirements doubled in 2018

Coal consumption around the world is the next big problem to tackle.

Trump coal rally

Enlarge / US President Donald Trump speaks during a political rally at Charleston Civic Center in Charleston, West Virginia on August 21, 2018. (credit: MANDEL NGAN/AFP/Getty Images)

In 2018, 14.3 gigawatts (GW) of coal-fired capacity was retired, up from 7 GW retired in 2017. That constitutes the second-biggest year for coal-fired capacity retirement since 2015, according to new research from S&P Global Market Intelligence. In 2015, 14.7 GW of coal-fired capacity was retired.

The Trump Administration campaigned on its ability to save coal by cutting back Obama-era regulations. But in 2017, a Department of Energy-commissioned report gave the Administration some bad news: environmental regulations aren’t what’s killing coal—economics are. According to a recent report from market research firm Lazard on the leveled cost of energy, building new renewable energy is currently cheaper than paying marginal costs for many coal plants. And innovations in fracking have dropped the cost of US natural gas far below that of coal.

As the US coal fleet ages, utilities and energy companies are incentivized to replace old coal plants with natural gas plants and renewable energy.

Read 6 remaining paragraphs | Comments

Microsoft wins $480 million military contract to bring HoloLens to the battlefield

The contract should see the military buy more than 100,000 headsets.

HoloLens from above, showing the visor and the headband.

HoloLens from above, showing the visor and the headband. (credit: Esy Casey)

Microsoft has won a $480 million contract to develop an augmented reality system for use in combat and military training for the US Army.

Called Integrated Visual Augmentation System (IVAS), formerly Heads Up Display (HUD) 3.0, the goal of the project is to develop a headset that gives soldiers—both in training and in combat—an increase in "Lethality, Mobility, and Situational Awareness." The ambitions for the project are high. Authorities want to develop a system with a goggle or visor form factor—nothing mounted on a helmet—with an integrated 3D display, digital cameras, ballistic laser, and hearing protection.

The system should provide remote viewing of weapon sights to enable low risk, rapid target acquisition, perform automated or assisted target acquisition, integrate both thermal and night vision cameras, track soldier vitals such as heart and breathing rates, and detect concussions. Over the course of IVAS's development, the military will order an initial run of 2,550 prototypes, with follow-on production possibly in excess of 100,000 devices.

Read 2 remaining paragraphs | Comments

The next Surface Laptop might have an AMD processor

With the exception of a few unpopular tablets, all of Microsoft’s Surface devices to date have been powered by Intel processors. But that could change next year. Brad Sams has just released a book about the history and future of Microsoft’s…

With the exception of a few unpopular tablets, all of Microsoft’s Surface devices to date have been powered by Intel processors. But that could change next year. Brad Sams has just released a book about the history and future of Microsoft’s Surface products and, among other things, it includes some tidbits about Microsoft’s roadmap for […]

The post The next Surface Laptop might have an AMD processor appeared first on Liliputing.

Adult Swim, Crunchyroll announce first-ever co-production: A Blade Runner anime

Black Lotus “inspired” by 2049, brings back Cowboy Bebop‘s Watanabe as producer.

A still from Warner Bros.' <em>Blade Runner: Black Out 2022</em> short, which may be a good hint of what to expect from this upcoming, brand-new anime series in the same universe.

Enlarge / A still from Warner Bros.' Blade Runner: Black Out 2022 short, which may be a good hint of what to expect from this upcoming, brand-new anime series in the same universe. (credit: Warner Bros. Pictures)

The events of last year's Blade Runner 2049 hinted at more stories to come in the series' universe, and sure enough, a follow-up project has been announced. But Blade Runner: Black Lotus isn't a vehicle for the continued tales of Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford.

Instead, it will take viewers back in time—and back to anime.

Black Lotus, announced on Thursday, will launch as a 13-episode prequel anime series as a first-of-its-kind partnership between two Western anime-distribution titans: Crunchyroll and Adult Swim. No release date has been announced, but work begins with some pretty nimble hands on the deck. Shinji Aramaki and Kenji Kamiyama will direct all episodes, having done that kind of work with seminal mid-'00s series Appleseed and Ghost In The Shell: Stand-Alone Complex, respectively.

Read 3 remaining paragraphs | Comments

US life expectancy continues to move in reverse

Drug overdoses and suicide play an important role in the increasing death rate.

Cemetry in Craftsbur in Autumn Season, Common, Vermont, New England

Enlarge / Cemetry in Craftsbur in Autumn Season, Common, Vermont, New England (credit: Enn Li Photography | Getty Images)

In 1900, the average person in the US could expect to live just 47.3 years. Throughout the 20th century, that figure climbed rapidly, topping 70 years for the first time in 1961 and reaching 78.9 years in 2014, suggesting 80 was only a matter of time.

Then in 2015, there was a downturn—a small one, to 78.8 years. A single year might be a blip, but the reasons for the increase in death rate (including obesity and drug overdoses) suggested that might not be the case. Data released today by the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics points to a continuing downward trend: life expectancy in 2017 was 78.6 years, down from 78.7 years in 2016.

That dip of 0.1 years, every year for the last three years, is not a huge trend when taken on its own. But it suggests that the decrease in 2015 was more than a blip—and it points to unfolding stories about health and death in the United States. Those small-seeming numbers also translate to meaningful real-world figures: there were 69,255 additional deaths in 2017 compared to 2016.

Read 8 remaining paragraphs | Comments

Feds: AriseBank duped investors out of over $4M in cryptocurrency scam

AriseBank had been endorsed by celebrity boxer Evander Holyfield.

Evander Holyfield's January 2018 promo image for AriseBank.

Enlarge / Evander Holyfield's January 2018 promo image for AriseBank. (credit: Evander Holyfield)

Federal prosecutors in Texas announced Wednesday that they have arrested a Dallas-based cryptocurrency CEO on charges of securities and wire fraud, adding that he allegedly defrauded investors to the tune of $4 million.

The entrepreneur, Jared Rice, Sr., 30, claimed to run something called "AriseBank" and its related purported cryptocurrency, AriseCoin. The new criminal charges are on top of a complaint brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission in January 2018, around the same time that the Texas Department of Banking issued a related cease-and-desist order to AriseBank.

State and federal authorities got involved in late January 2018, just weeks after boxer Evander Holyfield endorsed the company.

Read 4 remaining paragraphs | Comments